Boris Johnsons Scheme to allow Londoners to build their own homes
A collection of people who are interested in building their own homes is being organised by Boris Johnson, who is asking the interested Londoners to list their preferred borough.
The Build Your Own Home Register is being launched this week to give City Hall a clear estimate on how many people are interested in self-builds.
Mayor Boris Johnson hopes to eventually match everyone who would like to build their own homes with councils that own brownfield sites, in addition to other companies who can help the interested parties achieve their home building goals.
In London, the price of land will be the biggest obstacle that the self-builders face; and the type of land that will be available to build on will likely be difficult infill sites that might put off most lone builders.
Nine new homes have been granted planning permission in London, and it is hoped that work will begin on a council owned site which is currently being used for garages.
It is said that next year landowners, along with developers, will have “serious conversations” to match the level of interest of prospective candidates who want to be a part of the building your own home process.
Aislinn Devlin, Pali Ltd
Google +(0) Comments
- The Rise of Cyber-crime in the Conveyancing Sector - Stay Vigilant with Lawyer Checker
- As the EPC celebrates its 10th Birthday this year, here is 10 things you need to know...
- Wallasey Tower Block Undergoes Massive Refurbishment
- Warrington to get new Railway station at Chapelford
- Keeping up with the Times - There's an App for That
Subscribe to receive a weekly update of our blog posts