Former Liverpool Lewis department store refurbishment
Liverpool’s former Lewis’s department store has been split into two sections for a £160 million Central Village development which will include shops, offices, hotel rooms and a budget gym, open 24 hours a day.
The Lewis’s building was founded in 1856 but closed in 2010 however, the building is being converted with some of the remaining features being preserved such as the fluted columns and the plaster panel which used to decorate the former hair salon Some of the more fragile historic features of the building such as original lights have been removed for preservation but will return once the refurbishment work is complete.
The panelling from the Mersey Room has also been put into storage until the building work is finished and the vibrant 1950’s cafeteria will remain and become the new hotel’s breakfast bar. The building is listed therefore, all of the renovation work has been carefully planned and considered including the complete stripping of the interior and all 520 original windows being removed and replaced with replica double glazed versions.
The top part of the building will become the new hotel where the dividing walls for the 126 rooms have already been erected. The stone walls on the outside of the building are being cleaned after years of grime have built up. The ground floor of the building will house new shops and a Pure Gym which will create 30 new jobs when it opens next year.
The available letting space inside the building has already been confirmed by Chiquito, Homemade Burger Company and Harvester.
Are you excited about the refurbishment of the former Lewis’s building or do you think the history will be lost due to the complete stripping of the interior bar a few pieces?(0) Comments
- Webinars with Pali for 2017
- 9m Residential and leisure development for Astley Point, Wigan
- First-time buyer subsidised homes will be built this year
- New Year Offer!
- Conveyancing Chaos for 2017!
Subscribe to receive a weekly update of our blog posts