Comments : Pali steam ahead with HS2 Services
The High Speed 2 (HS2) is a high speed rail way which has been proposed to run from London to Birmingham and then up North to Manchester and Leeds.
There are two phases which will complete the HS2. The first being from London Euston to Birmingham Curzon Street and the second involves the track splitting into a Y shape, one side will stop in Manchester Piccadilly via Crewe and Manchester Airport and the second Y shape will finish in Leeds via the East Midlands and Sheffield Meadowhall.
The total proposed line length is 119 miles and there will be a double track all the way up and down the country. The operating speed will be up to 250mph and will be powered by 25k AC overhead cables. The cost of the HS2 phase 1 which is the section between London to Birmingham will cost an estimated £17.4 billion while the cost of phase 2 has been calculated at £30 billion.
The HS2 is designed to cut the journey times when travelling across the country for example, From London Euston to Birmingham currently takes 1 hour and 24 minutes however, the proposed time on the HS2 would be 1 hour and 12 minutes. From London Euston to Manchester currently take 2 hours and 8 minutes but on the HS2 it would take 1 hour 58 minutes and the journey time from London Euston to Leeds would take 1 hours and 5 minutes compared to the current time of 2 hours and 20 minutes.
London Euston will be completely rebuilt to have twenty four platforms which will serve the HS2, classic lines as well as six underground lines. In Manchester one of the major engineering feats of the HS2 will be to build the longest rail tunnel in the United Kingdom at 6.2 miles which would surpass the current record holder of the HS1 at 7.6 miles. This tunnel will be dug at an average depth of 33 metres and the HS2 trains will travel around 142mph through it.
The HS1 is officially known as the Channel Tunnel Rail Link and is a 67 mile high speed railway which links London to France. This first section opened in 2003 and the second section opened in 2007 however, it did not cause the same amount of controversy that the HS2 is causing.
The HS2 is supported in principle by three of the main UK political parties who believe that the HS2 will help end the North South divide therefore, help improve the economy. However, a compensation scheme has been set up to compensate the home owners whose properties will be demolished to make way for the train tracks.
In 2009, High Speed Two Limited was set up by the Labour Government to examine the case for a new British high speed railway line. The Department of Transport, Network Rail and High Speed Two Limited decided after drawing on consultations to propose the first stage by the end of 2009.
The decision to proceed with the HS2 was made in January 2012 when the Secretary for Transport announced the construction of the 140 mile phase one route will begin in early 2014 and be completed by 2026 and phase two will be constructed by 2033.
Here at Pali, we believe keeping up to date with the most recent reports is key to providing you with the best conveyancing searches in England and Wales therefore, Pali is currently offering three services relating to the HS2 Phase 1 and HS2 Phase 2.
1. Free instant HS2 Distance Checker ‐ check the distance of any property within England and Wales to the HS2 railway line by simply typing in your post code, free of charge!
2. All Pali Produced Local Authority Searches now include the distance a property is from the proposed HS2 railway line, completely free of charge.
3. GroundSure HS2 Report details the nearest distance between the property and the railway within a 5000m radius, what the maximum speed of the train is at the nearest point to the property and the distance to the nearest overland and underground line location. This costs £18 including VAT and can be returned you within a few hours of ordering.
If you would like more information regarding our latest services, please call 0151 691 1170 or email email@example.com
If you would like to read any of our other blogs relating to the HS2, please see the links below;
Amanda McGovern, Pali Ltd
- Pali First To Launch Enhanced Indemnity Policy Facility
- Invitation to Free Planning Webinar.
- Guidance For Movers During The Coronavirus Outbreak
- Pali's Top 10 Tips For Relieving Stress
- Invitation to Free CPD Webinar on Residential Search Reports and which one should you choose
Subscribe to receive a weekly update of our blog posts